The Saudi authorities are preparing a report that will acknowledge that journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey.
A source quoted by CNN says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible.
Another source acknowledged that the report was still being prepared and cautioned that things could change.
The Washington Post columnist was last seen in public when he entered the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in Turkey on October 2.
Previously, Saudi authorities had maintained Khashoggi left the consulate the same afternoon of his visit, but provided no evidence to support the claim.
Khashoggi’s fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, who was waiting outside the consulate, says she did not see him re-emerge.
‘Rahul will root for democracy on US trip, won’t hold back’
Imran Khan, wife barred from travelling abroad
Capitol rioter who put feet on Nancy Pelosi’s desk jailed