Mumbai: On anticipated lines, Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray on Thursday announced ‘lockdown’ style restrictions starting 8 p.m. on April 14, till April 30, to break the chain of the coronavirus. This happened after the state witnessed a rapid surge in the new covid cases.
However, Mumbai suburban trains and city buses will continue to run, but commutes will be permitted for those in the designated ‘essential services’, he said.
“From tomorrow 8 pm, Section 144 will be imposed across Maharashtra.. From 7 a.m.-8 p.m. only essential services shall remain open. This is imperative to break the chain of the virus. Saving lives is our topmost priority,” Thackeray said in an address to the state late this evening.
Here are the main postulates of this Janta curfew/lockdown in the state
- Section 144 to be imposed in the entire state.
- Public movement will be restricted unless its for emergency.
- Schools, Colleges and Coaching institutions to remain shut.
- Shooting for movie/ads/serials will be prohibited.
- Religious places for practicing worships will be closed.
- Weddings and funerals to be held with not more then 25 and 20 people respectively.
- All restaurants and hotels will be closed for dine-in, but home delivery allowed.
- Public transport will be functioning with some restrictions.
- Cinema halls, swimming pools, Gym, clubs, shopping malls, shops and amusement parks will be closed till further notice.